Age-Friendly Environments Activists
Client / Funding programme:
Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union
KA2 STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP PROJECT
Age-friendly Environment Activists n° 2018-1-LT01-KA204-046947
Research and training partner
AFE-Activists is an Erasmus+ project that aims to build the capacities of older people to have their voices heard. Also, it intends to train older people to realise Age-Friendly Environments in their own cities or communities. AFEdemy is research and training partner in this project that is led by Senior’s Initiatives Centre from Kaunas, Lithuania.
Within the project, AFEdemy organizes a 5 days study tour to Age-Friendly City The Hague in The Netherlands. Older people from Austria, Germany, Italy and Lithuania will visit several locations in The Hague to learn more about how to realise age-friendly initiatives at local level. The group will visit associated partner of the project, The Hague University of Applied Sciences, professor Urban Ageing Joost van Hoof, the municipality of The Hague, city executive Kavita Parbhudayal, Living Room in the Neighbourhood “Laakse Lente”, community centre Mandelaplein and Sportcampus, among others.
Next to the study tour, AFEdemy provides a training of 4 workshops to older people of the Transvaal district in The Hague. The training focuses on advocacy, age-friendly environments and developing plans and actions. The training will take place in the Autumn of 2019 and will result in the installation of an older people’s board in Transvaal at the closing meeting.
- The overall objective of AFE-Activists is to support and train older adults who want to promote and foster age-friendly environments in their cities and communities and to influence municipal agencies in their decision making so that the infrastructures and services are adapted to the diverse capacities, realities, needs and preferences of all residents of all ages.
☒ Outdoor spaces and buildings
☒ Social participation
☒ Transport and mobility
☒ Social inclusion and non-discrimination
☒ Civic engagement and employment
☒ Communication and information
☒ Community and health services
Older adults who want to promote and foster age-friendly environments in their cities and communities and to influence municipal agencies.
With this aim in mind, the AFE-Activists project will work on:
- Designing and testing of a non-formal learning curriculum based on the analysis of the state-of-the-art European and global grass-roots initiatives of older people’s activism.
- Project-based learning enabling the 65+ learners to find the most effective methods to translate the promising idea of age-friendly environment into effective action on the local level.
- Deploying transnational learning mobilities giving the opportunity to selected participants to gain first-hand experience on age-friendly environments in The Hague (The Netherlands) and Udine (Italy).
- See study tour to Age-Friendly City The Hague, 07-11 October 2019 and explore its full programme.
- Study tour to Age-Friendly City Udine (in plan)
- Compendium of good AFE-activism practices focused on grass-roots initiatives. See AFE-Activists_IO1_Compendium_of_good_practices_EN_final.pdf
- AFE advocacy handbook covering the training curriculum and local activities, experiences gained in learning mobilities and interesting local activities realised by AFE-activists. See AFE-Activists_IO2_Training_Package_final_2.pdf and the overview of the training activities performed in the neighbourhood of Transvaal in The Hague in Autumn 2019 (in Dutch). The document includes at its end a section of lessons learned (in English and in Dutch).
- AFE experience handbook raising awareness of age-friendly environments, presenting good practice examples and showcasing age-friendly cities as skills gaining destination for AFE-activists. See Study tour to Age-Friendly City The Hague, 07-11 October 2019 and explore its full programme.